Chat with an LDS missionary

Chat with an LDS missionary
Chat with a missionary

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happiness is me!

I'm so happy. I have discovered that what I have perceived as more difficult for myself, than things seemed for other has a factual foundation! I have felt that in areas like energy levels, occasional "brain fog", cravings for bakery goods and starchy foods in general, and not being able to lose weight and keep it off, I have had more difficulty that the average person.

I found a book about Carbohydrate craving by a married couple, named Heller, both with PHDs. There was a test in the book, which I showed up as a "severe carb. craver". I felt like it was describing my life.

I have now been on the eating plan for three weeks, and I have lost nine lbs. What makes me even MORE happy is that I have had MORE energy than usual by a great amount, and so I have gotten a LOT more done on my to do lists. I have taken about six less naps a week. I have even been able to consider and understand more complicated things, like my computer problems, and even my computer guru son commented that I was not being overwhelmed when he explained, but I was asking appropriate questions which showed I understood. He was surprised and happy for me, and it was even my "usual nap (read pass out) time". I also have not been as hungry as I usually am when I would eat a normal "balanced" diet!

I even sat in the car, an hour late for my lunch, for an hour as we drove home, with my husband eating a Costco blueberry muffin right at my elbow, and the whole tray right on the seat behind me and I didn't even crave any! It was easy!

One thing that helps is that each day I get to have a "reward meal" where after I eat a salad, and divide a dinner plate up into thirds, with the *amount* of food in each 1/3 the same (forget counting calories or points etc!). So in 1/3 of the plate is the carb reducing protein (just about any meat, or cheese or tofu-- cooked any way except breaded) and 1/3 of the plate for a carb. reducing vegetable-- the non starchy kind-- (you can see the lists on line I think, and I may put the lists on here later) so it is like fresh or frozen veggies of green beans, celery, cucumber, sprouts, broccoli.----- THEN in the last 1/3 of the plate, I get to have **WHATEVER** carb rich thing I want.

This last 1/3 amount of ANYTHING I want, makes it so I don't feel deprived! :) Mostly I have some bakery goodie, like Costco chocolate muffins with ice cream, or I have pie, once I had two Dove candy bars etc! ) I know I can save any goodie that I would have eaten during the day, until my reward meal that evening (or it could be any time of day, but not before 24 hours of the last rewards meal.

We are also to drink the recommended amount of water- 6-8 glasses a day. So when I drink my water whenever I am wondering if I am getting hungry-- I usually find I was REALLY just thirsty! I try to drink my water before my meals.

I find that I think and crave food so much less-- it is amazing. I'm so happy just working away at my lists of to dos. I have also now with losing the nine pounds been able to go get 1/2 of my too small clothing and it fits! :)

How this all works is because of my body over producing insulin-- which is the body chemical that makes us hungry. Also my cells getting insulin resistant, and my family history of having "thrifty genes". Stress also plays a large part too.

Insulin production is prompted in the body by eating carb rich foods, so when I am not "pushing that button" but once a day, and the reward meal is to be totally consumed within one hour of time- it is allowed and even encouraged to be dormant.

I have said in the past that it seemed that if I would just SEE food, that I would gain weight. This has now proven true-- that for many people if they see or even THINK of food, their body assumes that it will be getting some soon, and so it pumps in the insulin (making us hungry!-- and begins converting any blood sugar into FAT-- as my cells are resistant to burning it like they should! -- It was true!!

Anyway, I urge any of you if you think you may be a carb craver, to check it out!

I also always felt it was easier to fast on Fast Sunday-- than to not have a morning snack or just miss a regular meal on any other day, and I would even feel hungry at 9:30 or 10 after having a BIG breakfast, than I would on Fast Sunday (when we have no breakfast and no lunch!). I complained to my dear husband that I felt better when I didn't even eat ANYTHING than I did to eat a day of "balanced" meals! It was true!

He and I could eat the same foods and amounts, I would still be hungry later and I would gain weight without eating any more, and even by eating LESS than he did!

Another thing the diet said to do was to avoid MSG-- like the plague! It CAUSES hunger, and appetite-- which is why so many love Chinese foods, and are hungry so soon after eating a ton! That even if they don't PUT MSG in the foods-- it IS in the soy sauce and the bean curd naturally, and is even a "Natural flavors" in MANY processed foods. So the best is to make your own foods and buy frozen but unprocessed foods, and organic of course is the best of the best.

Also avoid High fructose corn syrups and sugars in all forms (except for your 1/3 plate reward meal) and then it is still best to avoid the High Fru. stuff-- which also causes hunger/appetite! Caffine they said ALSO causes weight retention/gain!

Anyway-- I am pleased to share this with any-- as it has brought joy to my life. I feel like I could continue to eat this way the whole of the rest of my life, even if it didn't help me to lose weight.

I don't have to spend time cooking. I mostly just eat something like celery with cream cheese in it for breakfast (though I could have eggs like in an omelet etc) and for lunch a pure all beef hamburger patty, or slice of ham (not sugar cured) and a salad, and to eat out I have a grilled chicken salad (remove the carrots!) and I feel full and have energy and my thought process is working MUCH better! I feel that Heavenly Father helped me find that book in the thrift store, as I had prayed to find things I needed and not buy anything that I didn't need. May you be so blessed! Gramajane

No comments:

Post a Comment