Chat with an LDS missionary

Chat with an LDS missionary
Chat with a missionary

Thursday, December 10, 2009

celebrating Christmas

So-- I have joy in my heart again, and it is because I realized that my stressing over gift giving is not what God wants me to do. President Monson gave a talk and told how to really celebrate Christmas-- by visiting the sick and shutins- by doing good. It is NOT buying more toys or trinkets for others when they already have so much that they do not use that they throw them away or give them to thrift stores (that part is not so bad).

So when we are struggling to make ends meet, and get the work done that needs to be done to be ready for the next guests in our vacation rental-- then I do not need to be worried that I have not bought or made gifts for everyone (try anyone!) that I would like to have a wonderful gift to give.

An article in Meridian Magazine also helped me-- it was titled I think Grandmas Gingerbread Christmas-- I think. It told how one grandmother- Joy Lundberg, got her grandchildren together to make cookies, that they they packaged and took to shut ins along with singing to them. -- THIS I think I can do and feel good about! :)

I have also gotten out the faux Christmas tree and thought I would take the time to decorate it-- but I have not done that yet. Maybe we will have a "Deck the Halls" party and make it a friendship time- but without that it feels so much wasted time. It does not REALLY celebrate the birth of our Savior! How does a decorated tree be a blessing in others lives? If I can somehow work that-- then it might be worth it. :)

I have not yet even written any family newsletter to send to extended family and friends-- and I think that is something that I should take the time to do! :)

Anyway-- these are my thoughts at this time, when we are to consider Goodwill and Peace on Earth to all.

Gramajane

No comments:

Post a Comment